Thursday, March 18, 2010

Heroes in question

As I ponder my next storyline for my new contemporary erotic, I debate my hero with serious thought.

Every hero I've ever created has coal-black hair, mystifying eyes, tall, and a badass. Well, actually, not all because the hero, Jake Castle, of my paranormal, Castle's Fortress, just wouldn't turn badass no matter I tried to force him. He's a sweet guy...and that's okay. However, his looks fit the same role. Man, I will admit, I love a man that fits that physical description.

But this raises questions. Why do we like badass heroes? Even in real life, women (not all, but many) are drawn to a man who is dangerously wicked. Is it because a man who grabs life by the teeth is intriguing? Yeah, it is intriguing when a man, any man, grabs anything by the teeth....:)

And, to top this little inquiry off, my heroes have trouble communicating. Every single one of them. Maybe it's not my story's I need to examine closer, but my own personal life. Because as writers, our life influences every character we create, at least that's my point of view.

Okay, as I move to the drawing board, I'm going to try to create a different hero. Wish me luck !!!!!

2 comments:

  1. To learn how to write a strong male character who can also communicate, read autobiographical works written by strong male authors. Steinbeck's TRAVELS WITH CHARLIE is both delightful and will give you insights into how a fine male mind works. Few writers were more alpha-manly than Hemingway, and many strong male actors have penned their own life stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to get into the funk of writing the same character, especially with the males because we usually do have a style we prefer. when i need to change it up, i start looking at the guys around me when i'm shopping or something out and about. how they hold themselves, how they interact with those around them, just little snippets I can make my own with a new face on paper. Good luck finding your new hero!! Steph Beck

    ReplyDelete